tirsdag den 22. januar 2019

Sad toy news





Some people say that 2018 was a bad doll year, I don´t know abut that. While my collection was kind of put on hold due to a lack of money, I don´t feel like that have been a bad thing. I have been delighted to see the new Barbie made to move dolls and I allso think some of the new dolls this years like hairdorables and boxigirls are quite cute. I have allso discovered a great (danish) company that make wonderfull doll furniture and accessories, but I will talk more about that in another post. 


Relateret billede

It was late last year that the bad new started rolling in. In december, Top toys, the company that own Toys R us in scandinavia, went bankrupt. They allso owened the danish toy chain Fætter BR. I have been trying not to let it get to me, but it was a big blow to my toy loving heart. There were a Toys R us close by, that I loved going to, it was something that would allways make me happy. The whole closing down of the stores have been pretty abruptly, and I allready miss going there to look at their big selection of toys. As a kid I used to go to the Fætter BR toy stores very often, on vaccation at my grandparents, I went there alot with my brother. The stores are alot smaller than Toys R us but they have a lot of charm and still nice selection of toys. When I started collecting toys as an adult, it was Fætter Br stores I went to the most, I spend a lot of time looking at the wall of dolls, I never bought any thought. I should not despair about the cloosing of these stores, there are other toy stores I enjoy, and there are other smaller toy chains that might exspand now that the big guys are gone. But I am sad about it, and I really hope Fætter Br will make a comback in some way. The good news is that the Fætter Br brand was bought by another company, now I just have to wait and see what they will do with it.
A few years ago a toy store i liked, located in the city, closed down. It was the store where I bought my fist and second Paola Reina dolls, and I contiued buying clothes for the dolsl in that store. I was a bit sad but allso okay with the stor closing because I had other toy stores I enjoyed going to. It allso turned out that another toy store had bought the place, and I like that store as much as the other even though they don´t sell Paola Reina dolls, they do sell some other nice stuff. 

But that store is small, if I want to go to a bigger store, there is one half a hour away. Driving half an hour is not too bad, but my boyfriend and I don´t really have any other buisness in that town, so we don´t go there often. I allso worry that there are too much I wan´t to buy when we get there, since I have experienced before that they have a nice selecting of stuff not in Toys R us that I wan´t. I really have to be careful not to spend too much money on toys, and I feel like I shoudl be ready to spend when I go to that store, and I am not allways ready to spend. Last time I wanted to go there and talke dwith my boyfriend about it, we ended up not going, which I am a bit dissapointed about. I kept feeling unsure if it was ok for me to spend money, and I was allso a bit busy at the time so it was difficult for me to actually put off time to go there - and I am pretty sure my boyfriend forgot about it. This is something I really hope to chnage in the future, I might have missed some great stuff and nice moments in that store just because I could not put myself together to go there. 



Then Tonner dolls announced that they were closing, and I was dissapointed. I am not a big collector of Tonner dolls, I only have two. But I have been admiring their dolls for years, and I was really hoping they would make new dolls I would want to buy. I was very optimistic with their Outlander and Fantatsic beast line,  it is a bit difficult for me to swallow that there won´t be any more dolls. Maybe I should be relived that I won´t be spending money on exspensive dolls, but I was dreaming of having just a few more collectors dolls to display in a pretty glass cabinet in the living room. Now I wonder if the glass cabinet I am planning on buying for my Tonner dolls will look empty. I might look for some Deja Vu Lady Arabella dolls on Ebay, maybe the Lord of the rings dolls as well, but it won´t be the same as falling in love with a new doll. I will keep an eye on Robert Tonners new company, Phyn and Aero, some of the dolls look interresting but noting I really like. I am a very picky doll collector so I don´t really think they will make any dolls I will fall in love with. 

On another note my favorite doll blogger quitted blogging. I followed The Toybox philosopher since I started collecting, she have allways had the best reviewsa and I loved learning about and falling in love with new dolls thought her posts - I will greatly miss her post. I love reading doll blogs, but a lot of thosed I used to follow don´t blog annymore, and I have less energi to read blogs these days. On youtube some of the people I follow for toy videos have allso stopped posting and it is very difficullt for me to find new people that I wan´t to follow.   

Despite all of this sadness, I am actually pretty positive that I will have a nice doll year in 2019, but I will talk more about that in another post. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar